Research shows current school leavers are expected to have between 12 –15 different careers, with 40% of careers not yet created for current primary school age children. Many parents and carers tell us they find getting up to date information about the current world of Careers and Labour Market Information, difficult to navigate. Some parents and carers find having career conversations with their children challenging, as they do not know how to effectively support and advise them.
We are aware that some parents and carers within our community have expressed an interest in looking at career opportunities for themselves, including returning to work from career breaks, upskilling, starting a business or a complete change of career. This can be a daunting prospect and many have said they are unsure of where to start and what support and advice is available to them.
To support, we are delighted that our Director of Careers, Mrs J Poppleton, will be facilitating 3 Summer workshops. All will take place on evenings and will be supported by our wider partners, including employers and local colleges.
Workshops will include:
- CV building and making applications – common and up-to-date recruitment methods, including information about what employers are looking for when they are recruiting;
- Skills assessments – these will help you to understand your skills and what careers you may enjoy working in;
- Careers research and resources – exploring different career sectors and Labour Market Information for you and your child;
- Apprenticeships – what apprenticeships are available, including those for adults, what kind of careers are available and where can you find them;
- Courses – what adult courses are offered in the local area.
All workshops will be held on Wednesday 21 and 28 June and Wednesday 5 July 2023 at 5:00 – 6:30pm. Everyone is welcome!
To book your space, please email your name, telephone and e-mail contact details to firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday 16 June at 3pm. Places are offered on a first come, first served basis, with a limited amount of spaces available. Any enquires should be directed to Mrs J Poppleton on the above email address, who will also confirm your place by Friday 16 June.
We look forward to welcoming you to the event where you will be greeted in the main school reception and invited through to the workshop in the Learning Resource Centre.