What is Accelerated Reader?
AR is a reading program that helps teachers support and monitor children’s reading practice. Students pick books at their own level and read it at their own pace. There are two main parts to this programme which work together to help students improve as readers.
1) Star Reading test – an online test used to measure your child’s reading level. The test uses multiple-choice questions which continually adjust depending on the students responses. Students are the given a ZPD range (Zone of Proximal Development) between 0.5 and 13.5.
2) Accelerated Reader – includes over 30,000 books with each book assigned three scores to help your child make a suitable choice; book level, points and interest level.
How is it used at Chase Terrace Academy?
This AR programme will impact on students progress in all subjects and will be run by the English Department and the Library. Students will take a number Star tests throughout Year 7 and will also have dedicated
- What is a Zone of Proximal Development (ZPD)?
A range of books that will challenge students without causing frustration or loss of motivation. Students choose books based on their ZPD range recommended for them by the Star Assessment.
- What happens if my child does not like reading?
Children need to read for at least 25-30 minutes each day to improve their reading ability and we need to have a joined approach to this through your child, yourself and us as a school. Using AR, your child is more likely to choose the books they want to read at the right level, therefore giving them greater chance to do well on the reading quizzes. Success on the quizzes should encourage your child to read more. With individual guidance from teachers, opportunities for rewards and success, even pupils who say they do not like reading can develop a love of reading.
- How can find out if a book has an AR quiz?
Log onto Arbookfinder (the link to this website is on the right) and search for the book you looking for. If there’s a quiz available it will show up in the list.
- How can I find out how my child is progressing with AR?
You will receive AR reports throughout the year detailing how your child is progressing with their reading. You can also sign up to AR Home Connect which allows you to receive an email each time your child completes a quiz showing you how well they have done.
- When can my child take a book quiz?
There are opportunities to quiz at school throughout the school day, plus students can also quiz at home. See the below information on how to access the AR website at home.
Book Level – represent the difficulty of the text and range from 0.5-13.5.
Points – are based on the length of the book (word count). Points are earned by passing quizzes.
Interest Level – indicates for which age group a book is suitable for. It is based on the content and themes. These are recommendations only and teachers and parents are recommended to use their best judgement when guiding pupils.
If you have any further questions regarding the Accelerated Reader programme, please contact: AR@chaseterraceacademy.co.uk