Other: GCSE Business Studies
Exam Board: OCRDownload Leaflet (PDF)
Whether we realise it or not, all of our lives are affected by businesses and how well they are doing. When the companies and businesses in our country do well, we all benefit and when performance is poor there can be huge implications for us all in terms of employment. An understanding of Business is absolutely essential if you are to understand how the world around you works and how you will be impacted by decisions businesses make. More than ever you are growing up in a society where an understanding of Business is essential for your future financial security. Whether you are interested in starting your own business, management, finance or simply want to understand how our economy and the world around us works, GCSE Business will give you the essential insight and skills you need.
You do not need any previous experience or understanding of Business, however our units in Years 8 and 9 Computing will give you a head start on this course.
You will study a range of topics including:
- Marketing – How products are sold to us, how marketing works and how we are all influenced by product placement and promotion.
- People in Business – How people are deployed, communicate and managed in a company.
- Business Activities – The types of business, how they are set up, owned and managed
- Business operations – How products are produced, sold and how consumer law works.
- Finance – Sources of money, profit and loss, cash flow.
- The interdependent nature of business – How different types of business work together or affect each other.
- Influences on business – Environmental and ethical issues and economics.
There are two exams at the end of Year 11:
- Paper 1 – Business activity, Marketing and People – 80 Marks, 1 hour and 30 minutes, worth 50% of your GCSE
- Paper 2 – Operations, Finance and Influences on Business – 80 Marks, 1 hour and 30 minutes, worth 50% of your GCSE